MISSA has a reputation of offering transformational learning experiences through instruction by a local, national and international faculty of practicing artists. Courses are designed for professional artists, teachers and adult art students. Participants have options to stay on or off campus, see Accommodation page for more details.
Course fees include daytime meals (lunch and two snacks) and supply fees are unique to each course. Breakfast and dinner are included in the accommodation cost. Courses run 9 am – 4 pm each day. You can take one course or back-to-back courses. Plan your summer and enjoy the many offerings at MISSA!
Each year, artists from near and far, come together to share in a spirited creative exchange at MISSA’s Summer Program. The 2022 Summer Program takes place on the beautiful campus of Shawnigan Lake School in the Cowichan Valley, on Southern Vancouver Island, close to Victoria, B.C. The sprawling campus sits among forested trails and is next to 7-kilometre long Shawnigan Lake. This rugged natural environment is the perfect backdrop for artistic exploration and expression. It’s easy to see why many participants return year after year to be part of this ‘MISSA Magic’.
Brochure and Student Handbook
The Summer Handbook has all you need to know about your time at MISSA and a hard copy will be provided to you when you check-in.
A day in the life of a MISSA student:
- Breakfast* 7 – 8 am (included in accommodation fees)
- Classes 9 – 4 pm daily
- Snack break 10:30 am and 2:30 pm
- Lunch 12 – 1
- Dinner* 6 – 7 pm (included in accommodation fees)
- Evening: Studios are open till late
Bring your walking shoes, binoculars, camera, bike, yoga mat! There are many options to explore the campus and its surrounding forest and lakefront.
- Walk the forest trails on campus
- Attend a yoga class: Tues/Thurs 7am-8am or Wed 4:30-5;30pm ($15 ticket at MISSA front desk)
- Book a massage with MISSA’s on-site masseuse.
- Enjoy a creative retreat experience on beautiful Vancouver Island.
Always remember to be safe when exploring the area. Hike with a buddy.